24 November 2020

Family memories

We've been decluttering and so have some questions that have arisen. 

We have been looking at several of the things that I remember from when I was growing up in my parents' home. 

 
We still use the glass plate and ceramic roast platter that we used to use when we made pancakes. Good memories.

 Jugs and sieves that are still used.

Some things I'm not sure if we bought, or if mom bought. I believe she gave each of my siblings soup ladles.

Big spoons

Bowls on the left that we use. The red and green glass bowls, cake tins and an old enamel pot we shall pass on to someone - just don't know who... The fork at the bottom of the picture is not very visible, but is there to give an indication of the sizes of the items.

We use the sugar ladle, but the bowl has been in the cupboard for decades. We use a margarine tub with lid since ants don't get in 😉
 
Another glass bowl and the chip cutter. We haven't cut chips for years.

 
Peugeot commemorative items. It took a lot of time to clean them 😉
Silver dish: Peugeot 505 Ti launch, 23 Mar 1973
Pewter beer mug: To commemorate the 100 000th Peugeot motor vehicle manufactured in the Republic of South Africa, 7 February 1973

I believe that this set of sterling silver cutlery is the Dymond cutlery set. I am not sure if this is all that there was or if some items might be elsewhere. Do we sell them, or donate or lend them to a museum? We haven't used them for decades. It was quite interesting polishing them, thinking of those who would have kept them polished in a proper English home. I think we just washed them and put them into the drawer - I don't remember ever polishing them... Sal and I did not use them, particularly after we started to use a dishwasher, if we ever used them before...

Judy has the cabinet from the cutlery set. Lovely craftsmanship. She uses it for her sewing reels and bobbins.
Here is a set of silver plated spoons, I think for eating grapefruit. I don't know if they were given to us as a gift, or if they came from Mom and Dad.

The biggest challenge in my mind is how to let the value of each of these items be retained. If they go out in the garbage they will end up as buried treasure in a landfill. I'd rather that they go to a museum, dramatic society or someone - anyone - who will get some value from them.

We also saw that we have a number of Long Playing records (Beethoven, Vivaldi, and so forth) and the record player. There are so many things that we have not used for ages and we need to pass them on to someone else that I hope will derive value from them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment