23 February 2017

Surgery on a toe to remove ganglion and fuse a joint

The question is - would I do it again?

In about 2008-2009 I had a ganglion on the second toe of my right foot. This was uncomfortable and
I had to wear a corn plaster when doing field work in Phalaborwa because the ganglion was continually chafed in my shoes or boots. I then had the ganglion surgically removed and after the healing I was fine for many years.

But then a ganglion formed again on the same joint, and a short while later on the equivalent joint of the left foot. I put up with this for a while, but it would become inflamed at times and burst at times, and it was not something that I could continue to live with.

I consulted an orthopaedic surgeon who recommended surgical removal of the ganglion, and that because this is a sign of the onset of osteo-arthritis, that it was likely that I would have repeated ganglion formation unless the cartilage and capsule for the joint were removed. He would put in a wire to fuse the joint and then I should have no more ganglion formation in those joints.

I pondered this and acknowledged that something had to be done and that the ganglion was a serious impediment to my normal functioning and the amount of walking that I routinely do. So I agreed to the surgery and on 19 July the joints were removed and the recovery proceeded. I was booked off work for six weeks, but was able to work much of the time at home for the first weeks, and once I could drive again I returned early to work. I missed the walking that I often did, parking at the administration buildings and walking about 500 m each way to and from my office.



















The pictures are on 31 December (5.5 months) on the left and 22 Feb (7 months) on the right. 

It is now more than six months and I am not particularly aware of the surgery to the toes. The joints are not really obviously missed because the toes do not bend that much anyway. But there is not denying that they are different.



I have pondered what might have precipitated the ganglion formation and wondered if in some way it might have been due to irritation from the strops (surfer's web sandals) that I have been wearing for a few years. The surgeon was not sure that there was any real cause other than aging.

It was quite amusing when we went to vote shortly after the surgery and Sally was told by one young lady that I should return to the car and they would come to me for me to cast my vote. She indicated that I was an amputee! Well, I was not up to standing in the queue, but amputee is rather an extreme label 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment