10 May 2015

Recovery from a ripped off finger nail

Les Powrie, 15 January 2013 to 10 May 2015

On 15 January 2013 I was walking on a rocky slope when I took a misstep and fell forwards. I was carrying a book in my left hand and my closed hand struck a rock and I felt the full impact of the fall. As I arose I saw that my finger nail had been ripped out to the base and was attached only at the quick. I bound it up and went to ask Sally to assist me. It was very fortunate that she was with me for my field trip. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had been on my own far from any assistance. In the absence of anaesthetic Sally used a little pair of scissors that she keeps in her wallet to cut the nail from the quick – a really painful experience. But once done, and the finger bound up, I went on with preparing to attend the Temple for Richard’s endowment about two hours after the accident.

While in the Temple I noticed heavy bleeding coming through the dressing, and that needed urgent attention. A sanitary towel was used to apply to the wound, then the wound was dressed again, and this time I kept the hand elevated to shoulder height or higher. There was no further uncontrolled bleeding. Fucidin was applied regularly for the first three days or so, following which mercurochrome was applied and the wound was kept open.Sticking plaster was applied from about day three.

I have tried to recreate what the ripped off nail looked like, and have kept a regular photographic record from then onwards.
Approximation of what the nail looked like ripped out at the base.

I was told that the nail would be normal after 18 months. I could not find a record on the internet showing what was in store for me, so I decided to keep a record. Unfortunately, I did not think to start the record from the start, but this starts at day 6.

More than 18 months have passed and it is not absolutely normal, but it is not a problem.






















It is now 10 May, Day 847, Week 121, Month 16, or two years, 4 months. The nail feels somewhat normal, looks somewhat normal, but the profile is still far more rounded than the other nails, and the quick is still somewhat set-back. I cannot cut the nail like the other nails because of the profile and quick. Most of the time I do not think of it, but when cutting my nails I am strongly reminded of the incident.

I have written this record for the benefit of anyone else who does a Google search to see what might lie ahead. This is one case study, for what it is worth. But rest assured, the prospect is fair that you will survive and get to function normally again.

Update 25 Oct 2019, after 6 1/2 years -  


The nail bed is still a bit further from the tip of the finger than on the other fingers. The picture shows that it is about twice as far as the same finger nail on the other hand. This makes it a little more difficult to cut the nail, but otherwise I am not conscious of there being anything wrong with the finger or the nail.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  After ten years, 2 January 2023. The nail is still slightly shorter and so there is more flesh visible beyond the nail, but I am generally not aware of it. It can be seen how it is difficult to cut the nail as short as the other nails because of the amount of finger beyond it.

1 comment:

  1. whew Les! great record! I'm glad the outcome is as good as it is...

    ReplyDelete